If you’re working with safety wire, a good wire twisting tool is a must-have addition to your toolbox.
There are many options on the market, and choosing the right product can be challenging.
Fortunately, a few key factors make the buying process much simpler. This article will cover these factors and list the best wire-twisting tools on the market.
Table of Contents
- Our Picks
- What are wire-twisting tools?
- Factors to Consider When Buying
- Best Wire Twisting Tool
- How to use safety wire pliers?
What are wire-twisting tools?
Wire twisting tools (sometimes called safety wire pliers or lock wire pliers) are an effective way to twist safety wiring.
Doing this can allow you to fasten cap screws, studs, nuts, and bolt heads more securely so they can effectively withstand vibration.
While safety wiring is common in many different environments, it is most common in machinery production due to the high force acting on the wires.
Similarly to standard pliers, wire twisting tools tend to have two handles at one end and jaws at the other. These two mechanisms connect with a center barrel that handles the twisting motions and jaw locking.
Factors to Consider When Buying
Jaw locking mechanism
The locking mechanism keeps the jaw closed when the wire is inside. It keeps it secure during the twisting process.
Most jaw-locking mechanisms work similarly, but all lock with different amounts of force.
Depending on how heavy-duty your wires will be, you may need a higher-pressure locking mechanism.
Integrated wire cutters
One of the key steps in the wire twisting process is cutting the wire to size. You could often use a separate wire-cutting tool for this step, but if you are repeatedly twisting wires, this wastes a lot of time.
Instead, you may choose to purchase wire twisting tools with integrated cutters. It means you won’t have to change tools whenever you need to cut the wire.
Integrated wire cutters come in a range of strengths and sharpnesses, which affects how quickly they wear out.
Wire twisting tools are available in all sorts of different sizes. These sizes affect what types of wires you can twist with the tool. Larger tools can twist thicker, heavier wires.
Smaller tools will only be suitable for small wires. Consider what size wires you will need to twist with your new tool, and make a purchase with this in mind.
Reversible action is a feature that comes with some wire-twisting tools to reduce waste.
If you accidentally twist the incorrect way or too many times, you would normally need to release the tension on the jaw, open the center barrel, and then discard the wire.
You can undo the twist with reversible action and proceed from there. It saves time and money.
Best Wire Twisting Tool
1. 6 Inch Safety Wire Pliers
Features & Benefits
- Firstly, this product comes with a complimentary 10-meter steel wire.
- Additionally, it’s compatible with a wide range of wire diameters (0.3mm – 0.7mm).
- Thirdly, this tool can twist multiple wires consecutively, which saves a lot of time.
- While they work well for personal use, they are not commercial-grade.
Great value for money. There’s a bit of a learning curve, but once you’ve got the hang of things, they’re great!
How to Use
This tool works with a 3-in-1 design. Start by twisting features, then move on to the curing features. If necessary, you could also utilize the integrated strand-cutting features.
2. Aircraft Safety Wire Twisting Plier
Features & Benefits
- Firstly, this tool is durable and long-lasting thanks to its high carbon steel composition.
- Secondly, it’s suitable for various applications, including mechanics, commercial, and more.
- Lastly, a free 0.5mm wire comes to help you begin with the product.
- The spring twister is too strong, meaning the small wire breaks rather than twists.
Perfect for mechanical projects with classic cars and hot rods.
How to Use
One of this tool’s most important safety measures is to keep it away from children and wear safety glasses. The spring is very strong, so it could cause injury if it breaks.
3. 2Pcs Wire Twisting Pliers
Features & Benefits
- Firstly, this set includes two tools, so you could give one to a team member or have a spare in case one breaks.
- Additionally, the build includes heat-treated high-carbon steel.
- Furthermore, they’re ergonomic and comfortable for the hand.
- They’re a little bit more expensive than the other options.
This product is perfect for commercial use because there’s always a backup in case one tool breaks.
How to use safety wire pliers?
Safety wire pliers are effective and highly reliable, making them perfect for repeated operations. Here are some step-by-step instructions for using wire-twisting tools:
- Firstly, position the safety wire at the entry to the fastener and feed it through the designated hole. Sometimes, you may need to wrap the wire around the fastener if there is no hole.
- Squeeze the tool’s handles together to open the jaws.
- While holding two sections of the wire with your hands so that a large portion is pulled tight, slide the sleeve on the center barrel. It will lock the wire to the pliers to prevent movement.
- Now, release the tension on the handles to close the jaws. Pull the knob on the center barrel. It will rotate the pliers. After each pull, release tension from the knob before pulling again.
- Repeat step four until you feel that you’ve twisted the wire sufficiently. Often, you might use a measure called ‘twists per inch‘ to determine this.
- Once you’ve completed the above steps, you can cut the wire using wire cutters. Sometimes, these will come with your twisting tool.
This article covered choosing a wire-twisting tool and the top three products.
When selecting a wire twisting tool, remember to consider factors such as size, whether there’s reversible action and integrated wire cutters, and the strength of the jaw-locking mechanism.