Best HDMI audio extractors transmit audio from one HDMI device to another via cables without impacting the HDMI video quality. They often come in handy when broadcasting audio from devices compatible with HDMI (e.g., Roku, Apple TV) to analog-only receivers. Moreover, they can help you turn your home theater into a music room.
While we all want quality gadgets, finding excellent HDMI audio extractors may be difficult regardless of your audiophilic nature.
Today’s tutorial compares and contrasts the five best HDMI audio extractors. We’ll also explain the major factors to consider when buying an audio extractor to narrow your choices and preferences.
Table of Contents
- Top three recommendations
- Different kinds of HDMI audio extractors
- How to choose the best HDMI Audio Extractor?
- Best HDMI Audio Extractors
- Tendak 4K x 2K HDMI to HDMI and Optical TOSLINK SPDIF + 3.5mm Stereo Audio Extractor Converter
- OREI Audio Converter Extractor + ARC Support + SPDIF + 3.5mm Output HDA-925
- AmazonBasics HDMI to HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter
- Tendak 4K HDMI to HDMI Audio Splitter and Optical Toslink SPDIF + 3.5mm Stereo HDMI ARC Adapter Converter Support
- J-Tech Digital 4K 60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor converter SPDIF + 3.5 mm Output
Top three recommendations
Here are our top three HDMI audio extractor recommendations.
- 𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐈𝐎 𝐄𝐗𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 - Extract the digital HDMI audio signal from the HDMI input and convert it to 2 channel analog stereo or multi-channel Audio (SPDIF) output.
- 𝟒𝐊 𝐔𝐥𝐭𝐫𝐚 𝐇𝐃 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐇𝐃𝐌𝐈 𝟐.𝟎 | 𝟏𝟎𝟖𝟎𝐏 𝟏𝟒𝟒𝐇𝐳 | 𝟏𝟎𝟖𝟎𝐏 𝟏𝟐𝟎𝐇𝐳
- HDMI to HDMI audio extractor converter box in a durable metal housing
- Supports HDMI source devices without dedicated audio output
- Supports two-channel left-right or SPDIF stereo output and uncompressed and compressed audio
- One HDMI Input to one HDMI Output(Pass Mode), SPDIF (Optical) digital audio output(2CH/5.1CH Mode), and 3.5mm stereo audio output(2CH Mode); It comes with 3.5mm to RCA stereo audio cable. DOES NOT support Astro headset
- SPDIF and L/R audio support output separately to amplifier without connecting TV/Monitor; Input resolution up to 4K x 2K, 1080P/60Hz, 3D/24Hz.
Different kinds of HDMI audio extractors
Generally, there are two distinct varieties of audio extractors for HDMI.
- Extractors comprise audio outputs solely (RCA, optical, coaxial, AUX); This first type consists of audio outputs compatible with some analog stereo outs like RCA and AUX. In addition, you might also get outputs (digital ones) or audio extractors supporting surround sound.
- Extractors having audio and video (HDMI) outputs; constitute audio outputs that are both digital and analog.
How to choose the best HDMI Audio Extractor?
Choosing an HDMI audio extractor is undoubtedly difficult, and it might take ages to search for one. Worry not, however, because we have compiled a list of variables to consider before buying.
First, select the correct HDMI audio extractor that suits your need.
Despite the fundamental purpose of all extractors being similar, you may check for supplementary capabilities like;
- Consumer Electronics Control (CEC),
- Video outputs,
- Audio outputs,
- Video formats supported,
- EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) switch, and
- Audio format supported.
Note; EDID allows communication between the output and source devices. It generally notifies the source devices of their maximum capabilities, like frame size and display size.
Type of output
Select one that has outputs like optical, analog, or both based on your configuration requirements. Both optical and analog outputs in an HDMI audio extractor will help if you are unsure of the output to purchase.
Amount of available ports
The quantity of ports present is important when making a purchase. As such, more ports mean more devices connected to the audio extractor and vice versa.
Ensure the HDMI audio extractor you choose is compatible with your other devices. Furthermore, know that the gadget must match your output device and the HDMI source device.
The best DMI audio extractors should be quick to install and simple to use. Also, they would suffice even more when portable and compact.
Best HDMI Audio Extractors
- First, it works exceptionally well with PS, Xbox, Amazon Fire Stick, and Roku consoles,
- Then, it has a solid structure and is reliable.
- It also delivers perfect video and audio quality.
- You can easily set it up and use it.
- Lastly, it saves power by drawing a little of it through a standard micro-USB cable.
- It doesn’t function with Astro headsets.
Put this inline between the Roku and the TV, and it outputs digital audio into the TOSLINK cable into my surround sound box, and it works great right out of the box. It will need USB power, which I got from a USB port on the TV.
- its HDMI port produces a Dolby Digital surround sound while its optical port delivers a great 5.1 audio separation.
- Secondly, its solid build (interface and design included) is user-friendly.
- Next, it functions well with PS, Xbox, Amazon Fire Stick, and 4K TVs consoles.
- You can also easily set it up before using it.
- It doesn’t operate with soundbars that include HDMI arc ports.
“Using this for 5 to 6 months with my XBOX SERIES X to have optical audio out for my headphone. It does the job just as described in the listing. It is a bit expensive but a very dependable unit.”
- It supports uncompressed and compressed audio and stereo or 2CH left-right output.
- It has an easy setup and usage
- Moreover, it is durable and compact.
- It can further support up to 4K video resolution besides delivering precise and clear audio.
- Its purchase doesn’t include a power source.
“Using it to split the audio coming from my PS5 into a DAC. This way, only the picture comes to the TV, and the audio can go through my DAC into my archaic stereo system. No need for an expensive receiver. Audio and picture quality seem to be unaffected.”
Tendak 4K HDMI to HDMI Audio Splitter and Optical Toslink SPDIF + 3.5mm Stereo HDMI ARC Adapter Converter Support
- First and foremost, it comprises three audio settings, PASS, 5.1 CH, and 2.1 CH model.
- In addition, it doesn’t have data transmission issues or signal loss, meaning the picture is of good quality.
- It is portable, lightweight, cost-effective, and easy to install.
- You can link it to several devices, the best being PS4 Pro and PS3/4.
- Unfortunately, it can’t support CEC though you may adjust the volume via the headphones/soundbar/speaker.
- It only operates with TVs that have ARC functions.
- Finally, it isn’t compatible with Astro headphones.
“Easy to set up and excellent picture quality. I connected it with speakers using the digital optical audio channel. It’s a simple device for simple tasks and works well.”
- It can work on devices like Sony BluRay player, headphones, Apple TV, Nintendo Switch, etc.
- Besides being easy to install and use, its package has a user guide.
- It also supports CEC bypass and can simultaneously output digital and analog output.
- It works at 60Hz and 4K.
- It won’t work with production switchers nor support surround sound on various devices.
‘Used this for my gaming monitor with my PS5. I can confirm this will do 1440P @ 120FPS.”
Now that we’ve discussed the criteria for choosing HDMI audio extractors and given a list of the best five, we hope you have fun.
You can also get in touch with us for more information on HDMIs. We will be happy to help.