The automotive industry demands high product quality, competitiveness, and productivity. Thus, vehicle manufacturers want to follow strict technical specifications. A quality management standard, ISO 16949 manufacture, occurs and specifies requirements for the automotive sector. Let’s learn about it in detail.
Table of Contents
- ISO169349 Manufacture–What is ISO/TS 16949:2009?
- Areas where ISO169349 Manufacture–:2009 adds to ISO 9001:2008
- ISO169349 manufacture–Benefits of ISO16949:
- From ISO to IATF: what’s changing?
ISO169349 Manufacture–What is ISO/TS 16949:2009?
ISO/TS 16949:2009 is an international standard for the automotive sector. And the International Automotive Task Force developed this process-based approach with an international standards organization.
ISO9001 helps ISO/TS 16949:2009 examine the effectiveness of the automotive sector. It includes design & development, employee competence, awareness, and provision for production and service. As a result, it ensures that the automotive supply chain maintains consistency for the plastics business involved in producing and servicing automotive products.
Source: various car parts and accessories
Areas where ISO169349 Manufacture–:2009 adds to ISO 9001:2008
ISO 16949 manufacturing standard of 2009 adds some special requirements to ISO 9001:2008.
Greater management involvement
- Firstly, the top management will review all critical processes.
- Secondly, there should be a record of management reviews.
- Thirdly, the business plan must have quality objectives.
- Finally, the quality team must have the process information that does not meet quality expectations. Further, they must have the right to stop the required corrections production.
Source: quality management system
Greater resource management
- First, the design, development, quality, and production teams must have high competence in their areas.
- Second, the design and development process must focus on product safety.
- Third, employees must have the motivation to achieve the required quality objectives.
- Also, for emergencies, there must be a contingency plan.
- Quality and safety issues also include inappropriate housekeeping standards.
- Products and processes have similar design and development.
- A plan will focus on identifying, measuring, and reducing variations.
- Suppliers must follow ISO9001 or TS 16949.
- A control plan will detail the product, its processes, reaction plans, and corrective movements.
Measurement, Analysis, & Improvement
- Studies in the manufacturing process are needed to reduce variations.
- There should be inspections and verifications of the products as mentioned in the control plan.
ISO169349 manufacture–Benefits of ISO16949:
The benefits include:
- License to trade
This certification is essential if a vehicle manufacturer wants to do business worldwide. It makes an organization more credible. As a result, it helps the organization bid for global sourcing contracts or expands the local business.
Source: ISO-certified stamp
- Reduce waste and prevent defects
Based on ISO9001, the ISO/TS16949 inspires a process approach. The entire supply chain gets a standard quality system to follow best practices. When a manufacturer knows the interrelationship among processes, it improves product and process quality. As a result, there is less variation in the products.
- Saves money as no other certificate required
ISO 16949 manufacture is a common quality standard. Thus, suppliers and manufacturers do not need other certifications to prove their credibility. Therefore, you save money and time in preparing different certificates and documents.
- Flexible and easy to adopt
Based on ISO9001, you can easily integrate ISO/TS16949 with other management systems. These systems include ISO 14001 Environment and OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety. Further, this certificate also complements several other business improvement tools.
From ISO to IATF: what’s changing?
The Automotive Quality Management Standard revised its version in Oct 2016. This last version became the IATF 16949. Most of the points were the same as the previous ones.
- Firstly, The International Automotive Task Force (a group of leading automotive manufacturers) develops this standard. And it recognizes quality in the automotive industry internationally.
- Secondly, the ISO9001 management system incorporates additional requirements.
- Thirdly, the IATF 2016 does not focus on discovering but on avoiding errors. It aims to identify problems, eliminate the cause of the issues, and improve quality. Further, it takes preventive measures to correct mistakes.
- Lastly, the duration of the certificate is three years. Many internal and external audits ensure that the management meets its objectives during this period.
However, there are some changes.
- Suppliers are meeting legal requirements.
- Continuous review of changes in engineering standards.
- Supplier selection process.
- Work instruction standardization.
- Risk assessment and mitigation process at all levels of production.
Inclusion of customer-specific requirements
IATF 2016 includes customer specifications and requirements in its audits. With this, they can regulate these requirements.
Accountability and safety
This version makes it mandatory for automotive makers to implement corporate responsibility policies.
Risk awareness and analysis
Though both the standards are different, their goal is shared: quality in products, processes, and services. You get a competitive edge if your company complies with either ISO9001 or IATF 16949. In this way, you get a better-quality management system to maintain quality products consistently. Gloom, the ISO certificated company, will offer you high-quality cable assemblies and wiring harnesses.